If you have recently visited our website or our church, you may have noticed we have changed our “middle” name from Baptist to Bible. You may be asking “What are the reasons for this”? Let us explain what exactly is in a name.
The name “Lakes” represents our commitment to serve the Lakes Area of Oakland County in Michigan. It is our desire to share the Good News of Jesus Christ to everyone.
We chose “Bible” for our middle name because of our firm belief that the Bible is the Word of God. We accept the Scriptures as the only rule of faith and practice. (2 Timothy 3:14-17) We want the Lakes Area to know of our commitment to preach, teach, understand and live the Bible.
We are a “Church” and are glad for everyone to know that we believe the true church of Jesus Christ is an assembly of all those who have called upon the Name of the Lord to save them. We believe the church is a faith assembly called to live obediently in Jesus Christ. So we welcome both those who know Christ as their Savior and those who do not yet understand what Jesus Christ has done on their behalf to join us as we celebrate and proclaim this message. Further belief statements are included below.
- We accept the Bible as the Word of God and as the only rule of faith and practice. (2 Timothy 3:14-17)
- We believe a person receives the gift of salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone. (Ephesians 2:8-10)
- We affirm the priesthood of every believer, that we may approach God personally, pray to Him individually, and worship Him freely and fully at any time. We do not need to go through a human mediator. We have been given direct access to God through Jesus Christ.
- We believe every believer should belong to a local church.
- We observe two ordinances – baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- We believe our worship of God should be done intentionally, wholeheartedly, and obediently.
A more detailed statement of belief can be found in a copy of our constitution. The constitution is available upon request.